The Camden bench evolved from designs developed for Camden Borough Council. It is designed with today’s street seating needs in mind, such as resisting criminal and anti-social behaviour:
• Deters rough sleeping – ridged top and sloped surfaces make it difficult to lie on.
• Deters drug dealing – no crevices in which to hide such materials.
• Deters bag theft – recesses along the bench’s front and back allow people to store bags behind their legs out of harm’s way.
• Reduces littering – there are no flat surfaces or crevices where litter usually accumulates. Dirt and water flow off.
• Easy to relocate (for example, to move it away from a problem area) – there’s no need to bolt the bench to a foundation and built-in lifting eyes allow the bench to be moved easily by truck crane.